Milk’s favorite cookie, in cupcake form. These cupcakes are the best chocolate cupcake recipe I’ve ever made, with a whole oreo cookie baked into the bottom, all topped off with a swirl of buttercream frosting that tastes just like my favorite cookies n’ creme ice cream. The frosting was so delicious (my go-to buttercream recipe with cookie crumbs in it), I
did could have eaten half of it with a spoon! Plus, the oreo surprise in the bottom is so much fun (because who doesn’t love oreos?). The cookie stays firm and crunchy, which makes it interesting to eat against the soft, moist cake, but it gives the whole thing a really lovely crunch.
|Isn’t that cool? An oreo surprise baked into the bottom!|
Makes 15 cupcakes.
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
3/4 cup hot, strong-brewed coffee
3/4 cup bread flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
15 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup I Can’t Belive It’s Not Butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons milk or heavy cream
4 cups powdered sugar
16 Oreos, finely crushed (I used my food processor)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Twist Oreos in half and set aside the extra cookies for later. Place the side with cream filling in the bottom of each cupcake liner, cream-side facing up.
- Place chocolate and cocoa in a medium bowl and pour the hot coffee over the mixture. Whisk until smooth and transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely, 20-30 minutes.
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, vanilla, and vinegar into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until cupcakes are set and firm to the touch, 17-20 minutes. Allow to cool in pans 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, cream butter, vanilla and milk. Slowly add in powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy. Mix in crushed oreos until well combined. Frost cupcakes! (I garnished mine with fun sized mini oreos!)
Adapted from BakerGirl