|cute little orange trees in the hotel lobby|
- Last night, I got all classed-up to go to this really cool mozzarella bar called Obika. They make their own mozzarella -- how cool is that? Even cooler, they have all of these facts about mozzarella on their paper place mats (the food nerd in me was jumping out of her seat).
|nothing makes me smile like mozzarella and fun facts about food!|
- This morning, we went on a four hour walking tour of Florence -- we went into the Duomo, saw Michelangelo's David, and visited the Bargello museum. As spectacular as everything in this beautiful city is, I often found myself staring up at the ceilings. They're just so beautiful, and still in very good condition compared to the faded walls. I wouldn't want them to go over my head. Pun intended ;).
- After the walking tour, my legs were super tired, so I hopped into a hot bath back at the hotel. Reading my new Italian dessert cookbook, L'Altro Vissani by Gianfranco Vissani, and sneaking the occasional hazelnut truffle into my mouth (chocolate in a hot bath -- a little naughty, but delicious).
|if you can't find me, there's a 65% chance i'm reading in the bath|
- I was still really tired, so I wrote a huge stack of postcards to friends back home. As much as I love texting, I just love writing real-live letters. There's something so much more personal about real handwriting (even though mine's an absolute mess).
|when the view from your balcony looks like the front of your postcard :)|
- My mom and I visited the official Salvatore Ferragamo store here (Ferragamo was originally from Florence!). They're my mom's favorite shoes in the entire world (and mine too).
|i'm more a fan of his classic styles, but aren't these shoes insane?!?!|
- Florence is famous for it's leather. I got a few of these adorable little leather snap bracelets for my friends back home.
- I've been obsessed with Avicii's new song Wake Me Up. They play it in literally every store here in Italy. I don't know how to whistle very well, but I've been whistling this song all day.
- Last night, my dad ordered the Trofie Pasta Liguria at Obika. I had no idea what he had ordered until it came to the table. Then I recognized it. It was one of my favorite things that Edo's grandma made for us when we stayed with her in Bogliasco! Basically, they're these little twists of pasta, cubed potatoes, and green beans tossed in pesto sauce. The one my dad ordered wasn't nearly as good as Nonna's, but at least I know what it's called now!
- I've always been a "dunker," if you know what I mean. I am a firm believer that cookies and biscuits taste exponentially better when dunked in a warm beverage. A British man named Blumenthal proved it scientifically. Are you a dunker? Discuss.
|why are macarons just so photogenic?|
- Today, my mom and I went to a chocolate shop called Venchi. It's been around for over 100 years, so we figured it must be good. We were right. We left with bags full of chocolates... for gifts of course (yeah right...hehe).
|as you can see, i'm a little indecisive about my chocolates...|
|oh hey there beautiful|
© Cannella Vita. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission/linking back to Cannella Vita. If you want to republish this recipe, please link back to this post.