I altered the perfect recipe ever so slightly, adding some cloves, allspice and a bit of freshly ground ginger root.
What's the best muffin you've ever eaten?
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 muffin tins with a paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, allspice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar, ginger and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple and raisins.
- Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into muffin tins, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes. Check with toothpick.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.