I love putting Greek yogurt in my muffin recipes because it gives richness, tang, and moisture to the crumb without being heavy (it is important to use Greek yogurt because it really helps the muffins retain their moisture). In addition to giving the muffins an addition depth of tang and richness, Greek yogurt makes them lower in fat, so they won't weigh you down during all of your fun, springtime activities. I shared these with some friends at school, and they all couldn't believe that they were healthy!
I love to enjoy one of these sweet little muffins alongside my lunchtime salad instead of a slice of bread. Delicious.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins (with Greek Yogurt)
Inspired by Bits of Taste
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 6 oz. container blueberries
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 7oz container Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Juice of 1 small lemon
grated zest of 1 small lemon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Stir in blueberries and mix well.
3. Whisk together the eggs, oil, yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest in a mixing bowl.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon into 12 muffin cups until about 95% full. Place some blueberries on the top to have nice, blueberry filled muffin tops.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
6. Test with a skewer, if the skewer comes out clean, the muffins are done! Remove and cool on the rack.
7. Best served warm, or you can save them for a day or two in an airtight container or freeze them.